CILIP have snagged Bobby Seagull (formerly of University Challenge) to front their National Libraries Week campaign and he has devised a manifesto of stuff that he thinks are necessary for libraries of different types to succeed and /or survive. You can find the manifesto on the Libraries Deliver website mentioned in more detail below.
The manifesto has been presented to Parliament (October 15), with a call for “long-term sustainable funding for libraries” – alongside an important new report titled Public Libraries: The Case for Support. It does what it says on the tin, pulling together the evidence on public libraries’ vital role in:
• Place-shaping and inclusive economic growth
• Education, informal learning and skills
• Health, wellbeing and social care
• Digital skills and getting online
• Enterprise and business support
• Poverty prevention, social mobility and social isolation.